Thursday 3 March 2011

THE WITCH (Philippines, 1975)

(Solar Movie Enterprise Co) [Release date 22nd March 1975]



Check out this awesome film poster I bought from an eBay seller in Thailand a little while ago. I received it a couple of days ago and it's even more awesome when you see it for real!

It's from a Filipino horror movie called THE WITCH from 1975. I have never seen the film and it seems it may very well be a lost film (or at least unreleased in any home cinema format!). Andrew Leavold wrote the following info on his blog:


Directors Ngai Hoi Fung, Ben Feleo Producers Lee Long Koan, Nellie Ybanez Associate Producer Shen Chun Cinematography Wong Kuid Nam, Gener Buenaseda

Cast Gloria Romero, Gina Alajar, Rodel Naval, Zeny Zabala, Balot, Tange, Etang Discher, Venchito Galvez, Angel Confiado, Nenita Jana

Here’s an interesting pan-Asian project: a horror film co-financed by Hong Kong and the Philippines and released in a Tagalog version in 1975. Despite all efforts trawling the net and cross-referencing the Chinese names on the Hong Kong Movie Database (www.hkmdb.com), I can’t find any trace of a Hong Kong release under “The Witch” or any other title.

Can anybody please help with evidence of a release outside of the Philippines, other than these Thai posters?



The seller had two alternative posters for THE WITCH, this version underneath is the one Andrew bought:



[click scans twice to watch them in proper size]

15 comments:

  1. Hi jack,

    Is that might under chinese titles Revenge Of The Corpse? If correct, pls let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the big fan of Filipino and foreign films television and media was part of cultural institution throughout the world.Thanks!
      From:Wayne

      Delete
  2. Hey Tommy!
    I don't know if THE WITCH is the same film as REVENGE OF THE CORPSE. But I've compared the poster scan that I have of REVENGE with WITCH and they don't look like the same film.

    Also, REVENGE is a Shaw Brothers film and the Thai poster would surely have had the SB logo on it if it were the same film. And didn't these old horror movies use the same English title all thru out Asia instead of switching titles? I think that was the norm. But this is just what I reckon, I could be wrong, of course. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like B-movies includes scifi/horror/mystery western action/adventure espionage teen comedies epic historical and more. Thanks! From:Wayne

      Delete
  3. I've been looking for this movie because Rodel Naval, one of the main actors, is my brother. This was filmed and shown in the Philippines and my brother was told that the movie would be shown in other parts of Asia and would be dubbed. I was in Canada when this was shown in the Philippines so I've never seen it. I still have the original poster for this movie. The second poster is the original one except the one I got has the title "The Witch" and underneath is is the word "Ang Maninipsip" a tagalog word which means "The Sucker". It was produced by Oriental Film Exchange and Solar Movie Enterprise Co. If anyone has a copy or knows where to get a copy, please contact me by email at: dnaval.contreras@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is in addition to what I've just posted re movie The Witch. The copy I am requesting is the movie itself, not the poster - I have a copy of this already. I'm just curious, how much that poster that Andrew bought at E-Bay. Not selling mine because it has sentimental value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the big fan of Filipino films and foreign movies too like B-movies of the 1950's to the 1980's and beyond popular movies like action/adventure western teen comedies horror/mystery/suspense military/war epic historical scifi/fantasy romance etc.Thanks! From:Wayne

      Delete
  5. Dear Delia,

    Thank you for your comments. I would love to be able to help you with a copy of the film but although I have looked high and low I still haven't found one. Not even a 10th generation bootleg copy. Hopefully it'll turn up one day in which case I'll let you know.

    The two posters are both from Thailand and thus not as valuable as the original ones from the Philippines. I paid $15 for mine and I thiiink the one Andrew got was only 20 dollars US. The seller is Warehouse Posters in Thailand and actually he has another copy for sale of the poster I bought.

    If you're interested you can check his store here:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Warehouse-Posters?_trksid=p4340.l2563


    Best regards
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The store for all movie fanatics based in Bangkok. Thanks! From:Wayne

      Delete
    2. I am the big fan of Filipino films and foreign movies inspired from B-movies of the 1950's to the 1980's and beyond.Thanks! From:Wayne

      Delete
  6. All the theatrical posters are horror/mystery and scifi films become a collectors item was part of cultural institution for a long time.Thanks! From:Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite film was science fiction my favorite space hero is Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers and Japanese scifi/monster movies/kaiju and others.Thanks! From:Wayne

      Delete
  8. Long before Regal Shocker Shake Rattle & Roll Aliens vs Predator Friday the 13th Freddy Kruger etc.Thanks! From:Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=15583&display_set=eng

    ReplyDelete